Connect @ your library
14 March 2015 – 21 March 2015
Friday, 13 March 2015
Centre for the Book, Cape Town
The Library and Information Association of South Africa (LIASA) is pleased to announce that South African Library Week (SALW) will be observed during 14-21 March 2015 with the theme Connect @ your library. The national launch event will be held on Friday, 13 March 2015 in Cape Town.
The theme “Connect @ your library” resonates with the belief that libraries connect people to each other, to knowledge and information, to print and electronic resources, to technology and professional support.
Libraries must take the lead in being active community partners towards developing an informed and educated nation. This means providing access to information about health & hygiene, economic empowerment, poverty eradication and education in desired spaces that foster lifelong learning and knowledge exchange. This is further enhanced by skilled and proficient library staff who connect their communities to relevant and appropriate information & knowledge resources, emerging technologies, as well as dynamic and innovative programmes & services for personal and community development.
Libraries are fast emerging as technologically enabled environments, which provide individuals the opportunity to connect to:
- The Internet
- Databases, online learning & research tools
- Friends, families & colleagues via social networking sites
- Employment opportunities
- Digital libraries, which include institutional repositories
- Emerging mobile technologies such as tablets, e-Readers, smartphones, etc
This theme also highlights the importance of library practitioners connecting with each other, across all sectors, for the sharing of skills, best practices, global trends and national priorities, so that a strong cohort of professionals emerge with a common understanding and vision for the development of an informed nation.
It is therefore important for all to make the connection that libraries are desired one-stop, socially inclusive spaces that enable one to Connect @ your library to family, friends, technologies, information and the world.
- A ‘Soccer World Cup approach’ to tackling SA’s literacy issues (Times Live, 27 April 2015)
- This week marks the National Library Week themed “Connect @ your library” (SABC News, 16 March 2015)
- Govt promises to build more libraries (eNCA, 13 March 2015)
- Arts and Culture launches South African Library Week, 13 Mar (Polity.org, 10 March 2015)
- South African Library Week 2015 – Did you know? (SABC Media Libraries, 9 March 2015)
- Deputy Minister Rejoice Mabudafhasi to launch the 2015 South African Library Week (SALW) (Dept. of Arts & Culture, 9 March 2015)
- Celebrate South African Library Week From 13 – 21 March 2015: “Libraries Connect People to Each Other” (Books Live, 5 March 2015)
- City libraries mark South African Library Week (City of Cape Town, 6 March 2015)
- Segametsi Molawa on SA Library Week (SABC, 21 March 2014)
- South African Library Week 2015 in Pictures