Ina Smith holds a Masters’ Degree from the University of Pretoria in Computer-Integrated Education, a Higher Education Teaching Diploma, and an Honours Degree in Library and Information Science. Prior to her current job as SciELO Planning Manager at the Academy of Science of South Africa, she was responsible for implementing and managing the institutional repository at Stellenbosch University (SUNScholar), the open journal hosting service (SUNJournals), and the open conference managing system (SUNConferences). While appointed at the University of Pretoria, she was responsible for the implementation and management of the UPSpace institutional repository, social media, a federated search engine solution, and the web page. She has also 14 years of experience in cataloguing and classification.
Ina currently serves on the following:
- Ambassador for the Directory of Open Access Journal (DOAJ) (2016-2017)
- 2015-2016 SPARC Open Access Week Advisory Committee
- LIASA Exco Convener ICT Development (2014-2016)
- LIASA Representative Council (2014-2016)
- Chair: Higher Education Library Interest Group (HELIG)(2014-2016)
- Journal Manager (Technical): South African Journal of Libraries and Information Science (2011-2016)
In 2014 she received the LIASA President’s Acknowledgement for Exceptional Contribution (2014), and in 2011 she was a Runner-up in the international EPT Award for Open Access.
In her spare time she is involved with training teachers, librarians and developing media literacy manuals for primary schools – assisting all to become digital citizens.