National Archives and Record Services of South Africa Act, 1996 (Act No 43 of 1996)
The Minister of Arts and Culture calls for the nomination of six suitable persons to serve for three years from 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2018, as members of the National Archives Advisory Council (the Council) established in terms of Section 6 of the National Archives and Records Service of South Africa Act, 1996 (the Act).
The core functions of the Council are to:
- Advise the Minister and the Director-General on any matter related to the operation of the Act
- Advise the National Archivist on furthering the objectives and functions of the National Archives
- Advise and consult with the South African Heritage Resources Agency on the protection of records forming part of the National Estate
- Consult with the Public Protector on investigations into the unauthorised destruction of records otherwise protected under the Act
- Annually submit a business plan to the Minister for approval.
The other nine members of the Council will be elected by the respective provinces.
The Act requires that the six persons appointed by the Minister should be knowledgeable of or have an interest in archival matters.
Interested persons should note that members of the Council are not full-time paid officials entitled to salaries. The Council is essentially an advisory body that will meet at least twice a year. Members of the Council will have their expenses paid and the Minister may, in consultation with the Minister of Finance, approve an allowance for attending meetings.
Anyone wishing to nominate a person to serve on the Council should submit the following information to the Department of Arts and Culture (contact details below):
- A letter containing the full names and full contact details of the nominator, the motivation for the nomination, and the names and contact details of three referees for the nominee
- The nominee’s written acceptance of the nomination (the prescribed nomination form is available on request)
- A brief Curriculum Vitae (CV) of the nominee, explaining his/her suitability for appointment and providing information under all of the following headings:a) Title and full names g) Relevant experience
- ID number
- Full contact details
- Current occupation and name of employer
- Academic qualifications
- Fields of expertise
- Membership of associations, boards, etc (past and present)
- Past and present service on boards
The closing date for nominations is 30 June 2015. Nominations and enquiries should be addressed to: Ms M Gilder, National Archives and Records Service of South Africa, Private Bag X236, Pretoria 0001, tel. (012) 441-3200, fax: (012) 323-5287, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org