|2018||Ms Ujala Satgoor|
The Executive Librarian Award is aimed at recognising the captains of the Library and Information Services (LIS) profession; the powerhouses who are currently inspiring and building a legacy, not only for themselves but also for all LIS practitioners.
Nominations are being invited for this inaugural Executive Award. Nominations close on 25 September 2018.
This single-winner award is an individual who was nominated for the Executive Award and should have made an extensive contribution to the profession in the LIS sector with a minimum of 15 years’ experience. Their contribution can be at any level of the profession, including operational, management or academic. Such individuals must have a proven track record of mentorship as well as strong evidence of leadership.
It is aimed at later career librarians and information workers, therefore nominees are expected to be older than 50 years (50+ 1 day) at the time of nomination.
- Nominations close on 25 September 2018.
- Shortlisting will take place from 26 to 28 September 2018.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to a public panel interview.
- The panel interview will take place at the Exhibition Opening of the 19th LIASA Annual Conference on 09 October 2018 at the CTICC2.
- The winner of the Executive Award will be announced at the Gala Dinner on 11 October 2018.
All nominees will be evaluated on the following criteria: The nominee should:
- Be a current LIASA individual, paid-up member for a minimum of 10 consecutive years
- Have a recognised LIS qualification
- Currently be engaged in the LIS sector with a minimum of 15 years in the LIS field
- Be older than 50 years (50 + 1 day) of age at the time of nomination
- Have made an extensive contribution in the LIS sector
- Have a proven track record of mentorship
- Display strong evidence of leadership
The following groups of people are not eligible for this award:
- LIASA Executive Committee members,
- LIASA staff,
- sponsoring companies’ staff,
- members of service providers of library related products
The following groups of people are eligible for this award:
- Members of the Representative Council,
- Branch and Interest Group Executive Committees
- All other paid-up LIASA members who meet the criteria.
The nomination must include:
- Nomination form to be completed and signed by the nominator and the nominee
- A motivation statement of a maximum of 500 words (1.5 spacing, 12 point font) by the nominator indicating the motivation for the nomination, with emphasis on the nominees mentorship and leadership roles in the sector
- A profile of the nominee not exceeding 500 words (1.5 spacing, 12 point font)
- An essay by the nominee, not exceeding 500 words (1.5 spacing, 12 point font) which opines on:
- The importance and impact of leadership and mentorship on the profession
- A clear, colour digital head and shoulder photo (in .jpg, .jpeg, or .png) that will be used for promotional purposes.
- The three shortlisted nominees should be able to attend the panel interviews and the Annual Conference
- It will be required from the winner to present a paper at the following year’s conference
- Act as an ambassador for LIASA and the sponsors as and when needed
- Mentor and coach emerging librarians
- The winner may be requested to attend and present at certain key LIASA events and meetings during the year
- Write an article for the LIASA-in-Touch within a year of receiving the award