About the workshop
Services to support Research Data Management (RDM) are being implemented by academic and research institutions. Information professionals are well positioned to apply the principles of library and information science to contribute to this process. Their involvement span could many facets, such as the following:
- Conducting outreach to assess the data needs of researchers and students.
- Consulting with researchers and students to help them write and implement effective data management plans.
- Assisting researchers and students to organize, classify, and describe research data and developing standards for metadata to help make data more easily discovered, understood and preserved.
- Providing institutional repositories to enable their clients to publish and archive datasets or identify other, appropriate repositories for specific funders, disciplines or other domains.
- Helping researchers and students to share their data using appropriate licenses while protecting confidential information about subjects or other sensitive data.
The Network of Data & Information Curation Communities (NeDICC) is pleased to announce the first of a two part series of workshops focussing on the information professional and researcher engagement. On 10 June 2016, we will be presenting information on the role of the information professional in relation to research data management and will facilitate learnings around Data Management Planning as a service. The following workshop will be on 22 June. This workshop will focus on the “data profile” that provides an in-depth snapshot of the status of data at any given time. It is usually compiled by information professionals during interviews researchers.
Librarians, knowledge management workers, data curators, researchers and others interested are invited to register for this workshop.
Date: 10 June 2016
Venue: CSIR Knowledge Commons Building 50 (Ulwazi) – CSIR Pretoria Site Map – Google Maps
Time: 08:30 for 09:00 to 13:15
Cost: R 300.00 p/p for attending at the venue and R 200.00 p/p for attending virtually (Payment details to follow registration for event.)
General enquiries: Ronel Bezuidenhout
Please register and make your payment by 20 May 2016. To register, click here.
|09:00 – 09:30||Welcome|
|09:30 – 10:00||The role of the information professional in relation to research data management||Johann van Wyk (UP)|
|10:00 – 10:30||Overview of a data management planning tool to support institutional data management planning||Johann van Wyk (UP)|
|10:30 – 11:00||Tea|
|11:00 – 12:30||Practical – Using a software tool to generate a data management plan||Isak van der Walt (UP)|
|12:30 – 13:00||Case study: Implementing data management planning at UCT||Erika Mias (UCT)|
|13:00 – 13:15||Closure|