South African Library Week 16 - 23 March 2013
Educate Yourself @ your library
Libraries have always played a role in education, be it a school, academic, public or special library. In the current environment in which we operate, the public library has, for example, largely fulfilled a school library role to fill the gap left by the lack of school libraries. Apart from the “formal” role that libraries play in this arena, they have also always played an informal role in the education of our communities. The concept of lifelong learning is one embodied in all libraries especially public and community libraries. The fact that any person, young or old, rich or poor, employed or unemployed, can walk into a library and find information (in both electronic and traditional formats) to educate and enrich themselves, is one of the major plusses in the favour of libraries.
In our celebrations for SALW 2013, these are some of the areas that we will lay emphasis on and our messages will be adapted accordingly. The inclusion of the word Yourself also places a responsibility on the individual to empower themselves. The theme will also provide us with an opportunity to bring to the attention of the country and our leaders the role that libraries play in educating communities and the nation.
* SALW 2013 endorsed and supported by the National Assembly of SA. Read more.
* Municipal workers welcome library week 2013. Read SAMWU's press statement here.
* DLF supports SALW. Read their statement here.
South African Library Week
- A Brief History and Overview
- Read about Mr Dov Fedler the designer of the poster
- Launch: SALW Message: Ms Ujala Satgoor, LIASA President
- Launch: SALW Message: Mr Tebogo Ditshego, ReadABookSA
- Launch: SALW Message: Mr Vusi Ndima, DAC - DDG
SALW 2013: Downloads
- Download the Poster in PDF
- Download the Poster in JPeg
- Download the Bookmarks in PDF
- Download the Button Badge 1 in JPeg
- Download the Button Badge 2 in JPeg
- Download the Button Badge 3 in JPeg
- Download the Button Badge 4 in JPeg
SALW 2013: Programmes and photos from across the country
- Library Week Programmes
- Library Week Photos
SALW in the news:
- Radio Interviews
* Ujala Satgoor, LIASA President was interviewed on 10 March 2013 at 15:15 on SA FM Literature
SA FM Literature (13:00 - 16:00)
Presented by Karabo Kgoleng and produced by Tsholofelo Pelo
* Shirley Xulu, Mpumalanga Branch Chair and 2nd Runner up of the Librarian of the Year 2012 was interviewed on 11 March 2013 at 10:15 on Ikwekwezi FM
* Ujala Satgoor, LIASA President, was interviewed on Friday 15 March 2013 on Metro FM
* Theresa Denton, LIASA Librarian of the Year 2012, was interviewed on Friday 15 March 2013 on Cape Pulpit Radio at 16:40.
* Tebogo Mzizi, Convenor: Good Covernance and KZN Chair, was interviewed on 16 March 2013 on East Coast Radio.
* Segametsi Molawa, LIASA President-Elect was interviewed on SAFM on Saturday 16 March 2013 on SA FM.
* A commercial feature in the follolwing Independant Newspapers on Tuesday 19 March 2103:
- The Cape Argus
- Diamond Fields Advertiser
- The Mercury
- Pretoria News
- The Star
* Ujala Satgoor, LIASA President, was interviewed on Wednesday 20 March 2013 on Radio Junto.
SALW 2013 sponsors and partners
Department of Arts and Culture
National Library of South Africa
Red Pepper Books
South African Library for the Blind
Universal Knowledge Software
SALW 2013 in the media:
- South African Government Information
- Official Press Release
- FAD Communications Newsletter