The Pebbles Project Trust is a registered NPO that supports children, families and communities on the wine farms in and around Stellenbosch, Wellington, Citrusdal and Hemel-en-Aarde Valley. The work of Pebbles consists of 5 main pillars: Education, Health, Nutrition, Protection and Community.
The Pebbles Project Trust seeks to employ a FACET Mobile Learning Centre Coordinator based in Citrusdal. The Mobile Learning Centre Coordinator will be responsible for managing one of our FACET Mobile Computer learning centres, as part of our Mobile Library & Computer Programmes, as well as our Mobile Toy Library Programme.
RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE (AMONG OTHERS):
- COORDINATION OF THE FACET MOBILE LEARNING CENTRE AND RESOURCES
- To carry out an initial assessment with the centres where the Mobile Learning Centre will be operating in order to ascertain the needs for the programme (books, games, DVDs).
- Participating in the setting up of systems/procedures for managing the mobile learning centre: basic equipment, computer systems, itemising and creating inventories for equipment and relevant paperwork.
- Purchasing all computer equipment and software for the programme, under the directions of the FACET After-School Club Manager, according to budget and maintain software and equipment in good, clean, working order.
- Purchasing all books, games and DVDs for the programme, under the direction of the FACET After-School Club Manager, according to budget and maintain games, books and DVDs in good, clean, working order.
- Visiting After-School Clubs on a regular basis to provide access for the children at these centres.
- Presenting computer literacy lessons and sourcing relevant/suitable computer programmes for children (age range 7-18 years).
- Present computer literacy lessons for adults/parents on the farms that Pebbles work on.
- To distribute age- appropriate literature to children and parents and to ensure that all games, books and DVDs are returned in good and complete order, and to contact parents if this is not the case.
- To set up a fine system for those books, games and DVDs that are lost or damaged.
- To arrange for the repair or maintenance of games and books as required.
- Managing the FACET Mobile Learning Centre budget.
- Liaising with other organisations involved with mobile computer / library programmes and to stay abreast of new legislation, guidelines and recommendations.
- COORDINATION OF THE CITRUSDAL MOBILE COMPUTER PROGRAMME VEHICLE
- To oversee the maintenance of the FACET Mobile Learning Centre, under the direction of the FACET After-School Club Programme Manager, to ensure the vehicle is kept in good working order, arrange services, repairs, maintenance, as well as filling up the vehicle.
- To inform the FACET After-School Club Manager immediately of any damage to the vehicle, in order for the FACET After-School Club Manager to make the necessary arrangements with the insurance.
- To arrange for the repair or maintenance of equipment and software as required.
- To train the ASC children on the use of the computers and educational resources that are placed in the Mobile Learning Centre and facilities.
- To offer ASC staff training regarding acceptable use of the Mobile Learning Centre facilities and equipment.
- To provide reading sessions and literacy support to the learners who access the Mobile Learning Centre.
- To provide basic computer literacy training to ASC and ECD staff.
- To train all staff regarding the Mobile Learning Centre, its role and purpose in the organisation.
- To train the parents, staff and children on the use of the games that are placed in the Learning Centre.
- To train the parents about the Mobile Learning Centre, it’s role and purpose in the education of their child.
- IT SUPPORT TO THE PEBBLES PROJECT ASC CENTRES
- To assist the ASC centres with troubleshooting IT issues, as well as the repair and maintenance of the computer equipment.
- To provide on-site technical support or via phone/email.
- MONITORING AND EVALUATION OF THE MOBILE LEARNING CENTRE
- To assist with the monitoring and evaluation of the Mobile Learning Centre, should it be required.
- Assist in the review and evaluation of learners’ assignments.
- To assess learners’ progress, strengths and needs in terms of computer literacy.
- Assist with maintaining weekly records of learners, i.e. attendance register.
REQUIREMENTS (PLEASE DO NOT APPLY IF DO NOT MEET THESE REQUIREMENTS):
- A University degree in Education or Library Management
- 3-5 years’ teaching experience essential (preferably computer literacy related subjects)
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of office software packages.
- Be fluent in Afrikaans and English
- Be fully computer literate
- Have clean driving licence and own car
- Must be prepared to obtain a Code 10 driver’s license.
- Be able to work independently and as part of our great team
- Be able to work flexible hours, some weekends and evenings occasionally
- Attention to detail, plan and prioritise work, meet deadlines to successfully deliver a diversity of objectives and demands.
- Available 5 days per week from 9:00-18:00.
To apply, submit a CV and motivation letter to Angela du Plessis at: firstname.lastname@example.org by 7 September 2018. If you are not invited for an interview by 21 September 2018, please consider your application unsuccessful.
Employment Equity candidates will be given preference for this position. The Pebbles Project reserves the right to not fill this position.